Sunday, September 13, 2009

Adjusting to Japan


Wanted to give you all a visual on our home. We are truly blessed to live in a lovely house. As you will see I still have a ways to go with cleaning up. Our Tatami room (room with all the boxes) will be used as our storage room and guest room for any of you who would like to visit--hint hint ; ). I promise that all the boxes will be removed! Upstairs I'm still organizing Kaiya's playroom and our office. Need to find shelves to put away her toys (as well as being sneaky and getting rid of them!). Don't worry--I'm getting rid of my things too. It's a family affair this downsizing business!

Living in Japan has taught me to live simply because if you don't you won't have a place to store your things nor will you be able to throw away what you bought because they have a strict trash code here. Unpacking our stuff I quickly realized how much "junk" we own or things we thought we needed but don't. We don't have a garage, we don't have utility closets, we don't even have counter space in the bathrooms or kitchen. Living within your means, having things you really need is how they live here, and I really like that approach and am trying to embrace that life style.

Japan is very good about their trash--you don't waste. There are limited to no trash cans in public places like you find in America, because they are trying to conserve the wastefulness. At home I have to categorize my trash into four bins: Burnables, plastics, recyclables, and junk. Trash is taken out five days a week according to the category (burnables get twice a week). The categories can get tricky at times, I'm still trying to figure out how to throw away razors and which bin it goes into--so usually those items I can't "throw" away goes into the base trash. They have only two categories or there are trash cans at the park that are a free for all. We're not suppose to bring in outside trash, but I sneak it anyway--I feel like such a criminal!

I'm trying to start a garden outside with Rosemary, onions, and garlic along with an assortment of colored tulips that should bloom in April. I have my basil and parsley indoors due to the change of season. I'm praying my garden works as I don't have the green thumb like my mom and sister. I seem to have the knack to kill plants vice keep them alive as you will notice my orchids in the living room are dying. Anyway, if it all works it will give us fresh herbs and vegetables for cooking and give me the chance to expose Kaiya to gardening (even if I'm not good at it). She loves donning on her Dora gloves, digging in the dirt, and helping me water the plants but her attention span lasts for about 10 minutes if that.

Getting around the city, basically outside of base, is becoming easier for me. Yet, I still find myself trying to get use to the culture. Even trying to park your car at the grocery store can be daunting. Take for instance my recent trip to the store, I bypassed a row of cars "parked" on the street and turned into the parking lot when a loud honk blasted behind me. I turned around and realized my mistake instantly. In America it's a free for all, everyone goes in and drives around until you find a spot. Not in Japan. You wait in line and when there is a free spot you drive into the parking lot--and that's why I was honked at--for not knowing this courteous rule. I felt so embarrassed and backed out immediately---I still don't have a grasp on the Japanese language but I'm very familiar with Sumimasen or translated as "Excuse me"---I use it all the time. In fact, I plan on getting a shirt with that phrase on the front and back because I'm getting tired of saying it. I could resort to a tattoo on my forehead but my vanity and the Japanese culture prevent me from doing so. The Japanese culture sees the tattoo as taboo (a sign of being in a gang)---they will kick you out of a waterpark/public swimming pool if you have one visible--so the shirt seems most productive and viable.

Well, one day I'll learn more suitable Japanese and hopefully won't make a spectacle of myself, but then again my partner in crime (Kaiya) won't exactly make that easy for me. Until then I will be able to entertain you with even more embarrassing stories.

1 comment:

  1. The house looks GREAT!!! I love the fresh flowers you have. I'll have to set up a fare watcher. And you should know boxes don't bother me. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete