Saturday, September 19, 2009

Athletic Kaiya and daycare

Kaiya is showing athletic talent but her attention span is nil. She's signed up for soccer, and to her defense I do find the 45 minute session a bit beyond what 3-5 years can do. I mean asking these kids to do soccer drills like throw-ins, kicking, dribbling in and out of cones, kicking on goal for 10 minutes at a time is asking a lot. She just recently stopped peeing her pants and I'm trying to get her to stop picking her nose--you want her to dribble in and out of cones and then shoot at the goal? Good luck! Basically, Kaiya will do the drill for maybe two minutes and then she's bored or refuses to continue. They don't even scrimmage, which I know she would love. She just loves to be free to do what she wants--running, kicking the ball, playing with the kids and not being told how to do it or when to do it. I guess she's like me.

I really don't get the need to make little children practice sports professionally at such an early age. I was hoping that it would be a bit more--fun. We'll dabble in every sport--basketball is next, then T-Ball. Whatever interests her we'll try to participate. Dancing for now is a no-go--too structured for her and I spend most my time yelling at her to pay attention. If they had Bohemian dance I'd be the first in line to sign her up--but they don't.

Kaiya started at her new daycare this past Wednesday. She was there for about 3 hours when I went to pick her up. As I walked into the room, she caught my presence and starting yelling, "NO!!! I don't want to go!!" and then proceeded to run away and hide. I was mortified. I'm trying to greet the teacher, sign her out, while keeping an eye on her whereabouts. The layout of the room is partitioned in rooms and as a result creates many places to hide-thus blocking my view. As I'm running around the room, calling out her name, little children come out from what seems nowhere to let me know that Kaiya is gone--that she already went outside. It's like a scene from "Children of the Corn", except these kids were cute and you know, I didn't have that creepy 'I'm in danger' vibe. WHAT?! She's outside! Then I look up as I see another little boy trying to help stuff Kaiya into a closet. Oh my God! She's enlisted the aid of her friends to create diversions and aid in her escape. How does she rally up these tots on her first day and in less than three hours?! I have a devious mastermind for a child! At that point, my embarrassment turned into laughter--this was beyond hilarious. You know most parents have children that cry when you leave them. Mine cries when I pick her up. Where did I go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment