Monday, July 5, 2010
4th of July
We celebrated the 4th with having friends over for a BBQ. Kaiya was in heaven with all the kids at her home. They had a waterfight with water guns and water balloons we bought for the kids. Unfortunately, some kids started spraying the next door kids (until I yelled at them to stop) and the mom wasn't too happy. So today Kaiya and I walked over with a plate full of brownies and apologized for yesterday. Being worried about offending the neighbors then having anxiety about the fireworks we planned on lighting up, made the night a little less enjoyable for me. I do not want to be labeled as the "Ugly American". Since the homes are so close together and the houses lack insulation (you can hear your neighbor's footsteps in your home), privacy and being respectful of quietness is revered here. We weren't obnoxious, but I didn't want to push it--I still have to live here for another year!
Fortunately, (for my sanity) we headed to the local park and lit up the fireworks in an open baseball field. That went well. The kids loved the sparklers--except Kaiya. She would hold my hand while I was holding one. She's still scared of fireworks and as you see in the pictures she wanted to be held and covered her ears. I thought before she was sensitive to the noise, but cancelled that notion out the night prior as we went to see Blue October perform on base. We were right in the front (so VERY LOUD) and she was fine--dancing and rocking out. Anyway, she was complaining about wanting to go home, and she got her wish because we were kicked out! Neighbors were complaining about the noise! Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why they sell the fireworks if they aren't going to use them! Love being here, but I look forward to going back to the States where I don't feel like I'm being scrutinized.
Anyway, Kaiya was upset--the girl who wanted to go home BECAUSE of the fireworks wanted to stay FOR the fireworks because it was for DeeTee's birthday. DeeTee's b-day is the 5th and I told her that for DeeTee's b-day there are always fireworks! Happy Birthday DeeTee!
By the way, the cute little boy is Alex. He was a little fireball and loved to dress up in Kaiya's Cinderella dress and Stitch hat (by himself--no coercing). He was so darling and reminded me of my brother Martin at his age! It's hard to believe that Martin was that cute, but he was. Made me think that maybe it would be nice to have a boy. Still think we are having a girl though...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Congrats, Rachele! So happy for you guys. You look terrific. Are you going to find out what you're having?
ReplyDelete