Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Baby Update

Well, we are having a baby girl. It was confirmed on the 15th as I had to have another ultra sound due to me measuring small. Just a routine check to see if the baby is growing at the right pace, which she is. Our ultra sound technician was an older Japanese man who spoke Japlish and I don't mean some words were clearly Japanese and others were clearly English like how I talk, but a combo of the two. The scary thing is that I understood every single thing he was saying to me. Anyway, Matt and Kaiya were able to see the baby and when the gentleman asked if we wanted to know the gender we said yes. So he zoomed in on the bottom and said "It's a girl. No Boys parts". He took the picture and with an arrow pointed between her legs the words "NO BOYS PARTS" are labeled. I think it's hilarious....a great keepsake for her scrapbook. Needless, to say Kaiya was beaming when we said she was having a sister. She DID not want a brother.

For her name, we let Kaiya choose the middle name--Matt and I picked her first name: Elysia Duck. That's right, Kaiya wanted Duck as the middle name. Different but it's what she wants and we wanted her to feel part of the process of naming her little sister. Okay, now that I really have your attention and 80% of you think I've lost my mind and the last 20% know I've lost it--HELLO! Do you really think I'm going to let my four year old child name my baby!? This is the same girl who wanted her sister to be Dora and her brother Diego, but she pronounced it 'Daego', the derogatory term for Italians! When I did ask her about her sister's name and she told me Elysia Duck, I started chuckling. Then Kaiya screwed up her face and shouted "Don't laugh!. You'll hurt the baby's feelings!". Well, at least I know Kaiya will be very protective of Elysia Vivienne. That is her name.

Yesterday, I took Kaiya shopping and bought some baby items: baby powder, diapers, baby wipes, etc. And then I let Kaiya pick out a purse for her. I explained to Kaiya that this purse was her "Big Sister purse" and proceeded to put some newborn diapers, the baby powder, and baby wipes in her bag. I explained that she is the big sister and she can help mommy take care of Elysia. My intent is her to not feel left out, but feel like she can help too. About 30 minutes later, in the car ride home, I asked if she liked her new big sister purse. She said she did, except it had all the baby's things in it--"Where is my stuff going to go? Where is my make-up going to go?". I started laughing--she truly is my daughter! I guess I'll have to get a little pouch for her "make-up" to put in her purse!

2 comments:

  1. You are on the right path to minimizing resentment. Job well done. I love the name. I can't wait to see and meet the new addition to your family. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis!! Not sure if you got my last comment..But Congrats!! on your new baby Girl!! I did'nt even know you were having another baby..Thanks for sending me your blog again..i did'nt know how to find it..lol anyways looks like you are having a great time in Japan and congrats on everything..Your Daughter is so beautiful just like you..Tell Matt I said WZUP:) Love you..xoxoxo

    P.S I was thinking Umm ... Duck for a middle name intersting..But then my brothers name is Pony..so I thought not so weird..lol..love u

    ReplyDelete