As we were headed to the other platform Kaiya found ice cream and naturally wanted some. It was noon by now and we hadn't eaten lunch so I said no. Meltdown #1 commenced. She stomped her little foot, cried very loudly as I removed her from the plastic 3 foot ice cream she was clutching and dragged her toward the platform to where the rest of the Japanese passengers were staring at us. For the next 10 minutes I tried to blend in and pretend nothing was wrong as Kaiya was practically screaming.
15 minutes later we arrive at Enoshima and walk for another 10 minutes toward the beach. I make my way to Enoshima Island as I'm under the pretense that the aquarium is on the island. We walk for another 7 minutes, while I'm coaxing Kaiya to walk too (she's not listening at this point). When we make it to the other side of the bridge she sees ice cream again--you know where this is going. Meltdown #2 commences. I'm a bit frazzled and tired at this point and thinking where is this freakin' aquarium. I drag her up a crowded street where the people are now parting like the Red Sea to make way for me and obnoxious Kaiya. I spot a map and cannot find the aquarium. I ask a woman and show her my handout for Enoshima Aquarium she shakes her head indicating it is not on the island and starts using hand gestures to where this place is located. She has me follow her back over that bridge and hands Kaiya candy (I'm assuming to shut her up). By the way, only in Japan can you take candy from a stranger. You just have to be here to understand. The kind lady points to the left of the bridge and I say thank you in Japanese.
It's been about 10-15 minutes now--Kaiya is still crying but it's teetered off to a whine. We finally FINALLY make it to the aquarium and Kaiya is now an angel. I feel like I can relax and enjoy the reason why I came out here--to do something fun with Kaiya and bond with her. We had a great time seeing fishes, jellyfish, crabs, penguins, seals etc. She was having a ball and I was enjoying watching her be so excited. She listened very well and was genuinely interested in Marine life as I am. We finally sat down and had a snack (ice cream), since she was being good. We still didn't have lunch at this point--the snack bar ran out of sandwiches. Oh well...there was another snack bar at the end of this aquarium.
After eating our ice cream, we headed over to the dolphins to watch the show. It was another hour until it started and I thought we better get seats now or else we won't be able to sit down. I sat in the 4th row toward the right middle and let Kaiya run around the stadium. 40 minutes into waiting Kaiya is at the top of the stadium (10 more rows up) yelling down: MAMA! I pooped my pants!!! Oh my God! I'm mortified but thankful that pretty much everyone who was seated at this point didn't understand her. Then there was--do I get up and lose my spot that I waited so long for? How do I save this seat? I did the desperate--I left my purse on the seat--Once again-only in Japan can you do this--and headed up to get Kaiya and head toward the bathroom. So she pooped her pants--I'll just put the pellets in the toilet and it will be fine. Until the big surprise was that she had the runs! Can this day get any worse. I did the best that I could to get her panties off without spilling--but of course a little dripped down the back of her pants. I took them off and threw the panties away, cleaned her up, cleaned the spill on the back and walked right back to our seat to watch this stupid show. I was more determined than ever to enjoy this aquarium! So she smelled a bit, but whatever...I didn't come this far to be driven back home in tears of frustration. I should mention that prior to us sitting down we did finally eat...I think I ate a hot dog in a tortilla but the picture of this food was next to a dolphin---you know at this point, I didn't really care if I was eating Flipper. I was sunburned, tired, frazzled and in much need of a sedative, so I ate the hotdog without question. I have to say it was delicious. Kaiya loved it too.
The show was worth it and Kaiya was mesmorized. Now it was about 4:30 pm--time to go home. We did well getting out until we hit the Aquarium store, which is conveniently located right before the exit. I let Kaiya look around for 5 minutes and started corralling her toward the door. The minute she stepped out of the store Meltdown #3 commenced. At this point I want to drop her off at the local CPS. We walk, she cries back to the train station. Another woman with two kids stops me to give me candy for Kaiya. Do you have anything for me I'm thinking? Tequila?? Aspirin?? Kaiya asks me why people are giving her candy. I told her flatly that it's because she's crying and they feel sorry for me. So now Kaiya is calm...that is until we actually arrive at the station.
Normally we let her put the ticket in the machine, but this train was about to leave and I had to run to it, so I put the ticket in the machine: Meltdown #4. OMG I'm never going to get home in one piece!!!! Thank God, the lady we were sitting next to started playing with Kaiya. She reached in her purse and retrieved shells for her. As she's going through her purse my eyes were scanning for a little bottle of alcohol....I was seriously looking forward to a glass of wine when I got home. Kaiya's happy again while this woman spends the next 15 minutes playing shadow puppets with her. And I was able to chill out for a bit.
We get off at Kamakura to get a transfer to Yokosuka--I forgot about that damn 3 foot ice cream-Meltdown #5. I have no patience left and silently drag her to the train platform. We take the train to Yokosuka, a taxi to our car, and make the drive home where she is finally asleep. It's about 6:30pm now and I just can't wait for that glass of wine. I pull into our driveway and hear the most disturbing sound of metal ripping. I reverse the car and pull back in. It wasn't until the next day I saw what happened. I put a dent in the left side of my white car and had a six inch scrape above it. I didn't care---the half bottle of red wine soothed all my aches and stress the night before.
I'm sure you are all thinking that I will never venture off again with Kaiya on my own, but no---I will not be so easily defeated. We are going to a Street Fair in Yokohama (30 minute train ride) this Saturday. I will destroy any 3 foot plastic ice creams along the way.
Thanks, Rachele, this made my day!
ReplyDeleteRachele, you are hilarious! You seriously should write a book or something- you're a terrific writer. I feel like I'm right there with you and Kaiya!
ReplyDeleteBUT....you forgot Mommy Rule #1: Always pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! LOL!
Oh my! Didn't you see my blog. I sent you projects to do at home silly. Maybe you should stay in and recoop for a few weeks. Atleast the wine is nearby. LOL
ReplyDelete