Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!



For Halloween Kaiya was a monkey...her costume kept her nice and warm in the cool, breezy night of Trick-or-Treating. I don't think she quite understood the concept of Trick-or-Treating so I explained to her the proper procedure of the Halloween custom:
"Kaiya, when you go up to the door you say 'Trick or Treat'."
"Why, Mama?" she asks.
"Well, it's so the people will give you candy."
"WHAT?! They give you CANDY!?", she exclaims incredulously. Apparently, I didn't do a great job of exposing her to trick-or treating last year (I know we went to a party--I guess we didn't go house to house).
"Yes, Sweetie they do. And when you receive it, you need to be polite and say 'Thank you'. Do you understand? So what do you say when you go up to the door and knock?"
"CANDY!!!"
"No, no Kaiya! You say 'Trick or Treat', they give you candy, then you say 'Thank you.', okay? So what do you say?"
"CANDY!!!"
Oh God, I've created a greedy little monster. This went on for another two rounds before she stopped yelling "CANDY!!" as I explained that was rude. When she was finally let loose, I don't think she ever said Trick or Treat but did say a very quiet "Thank you"....I felt relieved that I'm somewhat a good parent. We didn't go out for long, she was quite happy about receiving what she had (around 15 pieces). We went home and ended the day with watching "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"--a classic (I think I loved it more than Kaiya).

No comments:

Post a Comment