Saturday, November 21, 2009
Yochien Orientation
Today we were able to visit Kaiya's Yochien and see what she has been doing for the last month. I was truly taken aback when I saw all their exhibits and everything Kaiya has been creating. I have to say that I'm in love and impress with the Japanese method of teaching and this school in particular. They are very innovative with artwork and learning as you may notice that the artwork is used from household items such toilet rolls, tape rolls, boxes, plastic wrap etc. Her class made clay, drew/painted pictures, helped make the robot in the school exhibit, and everyone in the Yochien drew a portrait of themselves on the banner. Fortunately, I know Kaiya's class name and name in Japanese, so I was able to know all of her contributions. Plus, it's easy to detect the portrait of a big circle, stick legs and arms, and circle eyes! I was completely blown away with the sweet potato, garden, tractor exhibit--makes me wish I was a kid attending this school! The kids grew sweet potatoes in the garden behind the school. The exhibits showed that process.
Overall, I received the impression that Japanese schools are very kid friendly and interactive with learning. I'm happy she is attending as is slowly being receptive to learning Japanese. She's started to say Arigato (Thank you), Konnichiwa (hello), Ohayo (Good morning), and Sayonara (good-bye) while bowing to her Sensei. She also seems to understand the Japanese instructions of her Sensei pretty well. I am very proud of her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment